Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Ezekiel 1 - 9

Ezekiel, an ordained priest, is called as he explains -

"...the spirit entered into me when he spake unto me, and set me upon my feet, that I heard him that spake unto me.
3 And he said unto me, Son of man, I send thee to the children of Israel, to a rebellious nation that hath rebelled against me: they and their fathers have transgressed against me, even unto this very day." (Old Testament Ezekiel 2:2 - 3)

And with that -

"...the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
17 Son of man, I have made thee a watchman unto the house of Israel: therefore hear the word at my mouth, and give them warning from me..." (Old Testament Ezekiel 3:16 - 17)

In Ezekiel's day, a watchman was seemed to relate to a military watchman who should not sleep but watch continually. The watchman would be executed if he failed to warn his fellow soldiers of an attack by the enemy. With this great responsibility, the Lord commands Ezekiel -

"When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand." (Old Testament Ezekiel 3:18)

"Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul." (Old Testament Ezekiel 3:19)

The prophet Jacob understood the same as he writes -

"...we did magnify our office unto the Lord, taking upon us the responsibility, answering the sins of the people upon our own heads if we did not teach them the word of God with all diligence; wherefore, by laboring with our might their blood might not come upon our garments; otherwise their blood would come upon our garments, and we would not be found spotless at the last day." (Book of Mormon Jacob 1:19)

Ezekiel explains how he prepared for his calling -

"...when I looked, behold, an hand was sent unto me; and, lo, a roll of a book was therein;
10 And he spread it before me; and it was written within and without: and there was written therein lamentations, and mourning, and woe.

1 MOREOVER he said unto me, Son of man, eat that thou findest; eat this roll, and go speak unto the house of Israel.
2 So I opened my mouth, and he caused me to eat that roll.
3 And he said unto me, Son of man, cause thy belly to eat, and fill thy bowels with this roll that I give thee. Then did I eat it; and it was in my mouth as honey for sweetness." (Old Testament Ezekiel 2:9 - 3:3)

I believe that the "roll of a book" referred to is the scriptures or the word of God. Eating the roll symbolizes reading and consuming (or believing) the word of God. Isaiah understood this same commitment as given to Ezekiel as he writes -

"Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart I have written my law, fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 8:7)