Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Jeremiah 30 - 34

Much of Jeremiah's life was calling Judah to repentance but with little success. I'm sure there were times of great discouragement, especially while in prision. It seems to me that in an effort to buoy up the prophet, the Lord blessed Jeremiah with some great visions of the latter day. Jeremiah sees the gathering of Israel in the latter days as he records the Lords words -

"...I will bring them from the north country, and gather them from the coasts of the earth..." (Old Testament Jeremiah 31:8)

But not necessarily to Jerusalem as he states -

"...a great company shall return thither..." (Old Testament Jeremiah 31:8)

Suggesting another location of gathering.

"They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn." (Old Testament Jeremiah 31:9)

Jeremiah makes it clear that Ephraim in the latter days holds the birthright. The weeping and supplications could have multiple meanings. One being the weeping of sorrow and repentance, and another, the weeking and supplications of trials and suffering in their pursuit of gathering. But with the promise to those who are obedient and that magnify their priesthood -

"...I will satiate the soul of the priests with fatness, and my people shall be satisfied with my goodness, saith the LORD." (Old Testament Jeremiah 31:14)

And when these things happen, Jeremiah tells Israel they will understand saying -

"...in the latter days ye shall consider it." (Old Testament Jeremiah 30:24)

For the Lord declares -

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah..." (Old Testament Jeremiah 31:31)

"Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt..." (Old Testament Jeremiah 31:32)

"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people." (Old Testament Jeremiah 31:33)

We read in modern scripture -

"...for this cause I gave unto you the commandment that ye should go to the Ohio; and there I will give unto you my law; and there you shall be endowed with power from on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:32)

"...behold, I give unto you a commandment, that when ye are assembled together ye shall instruct and edify each other, that ye may know how to act and direct my church, how to act upon the points of my law and commandments, which I have given.
9 And thus ye shall become instructed in the law of my church, and be sanctified by that which ye have received, and ye shall bind yourselves to act in all holiness before me—" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:8 - 9)

"For behold, I reveal unto you a new and an everlasting covenant; and if ye abide not that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my glory.
5 For all who will have a blessing at my hands shall abide the law which was appointed for that blessing, and the conditions thereof, as were instituted from before the foundation of the world." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 132:4 - 5)

Thus being -

"...that the conditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 132:7)

I believe Jeremiah understood and foresaw these events and the promise of the Savior to those who abide by the covenant -

"...for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more." (Old Testament Jeremiah 31:34)