Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

3 Nephi 7 - 16

As the people of Nephi were gathered round about the temple conversing about the Savior -

"...they heard a voice as if it came out of heaven; and they cast their eyes round about, for they understood not the voice which they heard; and it was not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice; nevertheless, and notwithstanding it being a small voice it did pierce them that did hear to the center, insomuch that there was no part of their frame that it did not cause to quake; yea, it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 11:3)

"...and they understood it not..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 11:4)

And the third time -

"...they did hear the voice, and did open their ears to hear it; and their eyes were towards the sound thereof; and they did look steadfastly towards heaven, from whence the sound came.
6 And behold, the third time they did understand the voice which they heard..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 11:5 - 6)

And the voice said to them -

"...Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 11:7)

What a marvelous thing it would be to have the Father say "in whom I am well pleased". We come to understand why the Father is well please with the Savior's words -

"Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.
11 And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 11:10 - 11)

If I could sum up the commandments and all that we should do is that we also should suffer the will of the Father in all things. It is the Father's will that the Savior teaches to the Nephites including the prayer -

"...Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven...For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 13:10 - 13)

The Savior continues -

"...The light of the body is the eye; if, therefore, thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If, therefore, the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
24 No man can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 13:22 - 24)

He also states that -

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name, and in thy name have cast out devils, and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them: I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 14:21 - 23)

The will of the Father then has to be more than just doing wonderful works - more than just doing good. It must be more. Obedience to all his commandments. It must be a continual process of learning his will and doing it. We learn his will from scripture study, from the words of modern-day prophets, and from the still small voice of the Spirit. For -

"...he that asketh in Spirit shall receive in Spirit....He that asketh in the Spirit asketh according to the will of God; wherefore it is done even as he asketh." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:28 - 30)

And -

".. all things must be done in the name of Christ, whatsoever you do in the Spirit..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 46:31)

Our Father in Heaven's will becomes very clear with the Savior's words -

"Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 12:48)