Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, December 26, 2005

Helaman 5 - 3 Nephi 6

As Mormon records that -

"..there was not a living soul among all the people of the Nephites who did doubt in the least the words of all the holy prophets who had spoken; for they knew that it must needs be that they must be fulfilled.
2 And they knew that it must be expedient that Christ had come, because of the many signs which had been given, according to the words of the prophets; and because of the things which had come to pass already they knew that it must needs be that all things should come to pass according to that which had been spoken.
3 Therefore they did forsake all their sins, and their abominations, and their whoredoms, and did serve God with all diligence day and night..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 5:1 - 3)

He interjects in his writings -

"...behold, I am called Mormon..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 5:12)

"...I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 5:13)

Being that he was ordained -

"...after his holy order, which was after the order of his Son, to teach these things unto the people." (Book of Mormon Alma 13:1)

In that he understood he was -

"...ordained after the order of his Son, in a manner that thereby the people might know in what manner to look forward to his Son for redemption." (Book of Mormon Alma 13:2)

"...And thus being called by this holy calling, and ordained unto the high priesthood of the holy order of God, to teach his commandments unto the children of men, that they also might enter into his rest—" (Book of Mormon Alma 13:6)

Much like Enos -

"...having been wrought upon by the power of God that I must preach and prophesy unto this people, and declare the word according to the truth which is in Christ." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:26)

To teach the word, we must read the words of Christ -

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ...feasting upon the word of Christ..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 31:20)

For -

"...the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

And -

"...if ye cannot understand them it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye knock..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 32:3 - 4)

Nephi asked his brothers -

"...Have ye inquired of the Lord?..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 15:8)

After being taught the words of Christ from Christ himself, the Savior said -

"...I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words...Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 17:2 - 3)

In addition to 1) feasting upon the words and Christ, 2) pondering them in your heart, and 3) inquiring of the Lord, I believe there is something else that will greatly unfold the scripture to the reader and that is writing the words of Christ. Nephi said -

"...For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:15)

As Mormon reads the writings of Nephi, the son of Nephi he writes -

"...there had many things transpired which, in the eyes of some, would be great and marvelous; nevertheless, they cannot all be written in this book; yea, this book cannot contain even a hundredth part of what was done among so many people in the space of twenty and five years;
9 But behold there are records which do contain all the proceedings of this people; and a shorter but true account was given by Nephi..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 5:8 - 9)

And from these scriptures, Mormon writes -

"...I have made my record of these things according to the record of Nephi..."(Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 5:10 - 11)

And also -

"...I do make my record from the accounts which have been given by those who were before me..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 5:16)

"...on plates which I have made with mine own hands." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 5:11)

And as he writes these things, he also tells us -

"...I do make a record of the things which I have seen with mine own eyes..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 5:17)

As we follow these four steps the truths found in the scriptures will begin to unfold before us. As we write, we will be able to write as Nephi of old -

"...hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.
11 And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 33:10 - 11)