Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Alma 30 - 32

Alma said to the Zoramites -

"...there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we shall believe." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:17)

For many, that statement may sound reasonable - but is it really? First of all there are great risks associated with being given a sign and knowing of a surety. Alma said -

"...if a man knoweth a thing he hath no cause to believe, for he knoweth it." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:18)

And the consequence then is a man knoweth -

"...how much more cursed is he that knoweth the will of God and doeth it not, than he that only believeth, or only hath cause to believe, and falleth into transgression?" (Book of Mormon Alma 32:19)

The risk is that if the Lord gave us sure knowledge then we become accountable for that sure knowledge -

"For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:3)

The statement -

"...show unto us a sign from heaven...then we shall believe" (Book of Mormon Alma 32:17)

Is in great contrast to how things are done in everyday life. Something like an attitude of an employee that thinks "pay me more then I'll work harder". The employer has the attitude "work harder then I'll consider paying you more".

It is not much different than praying "if you bless me Lord then I'll keep your commandments". It just doesn't work that way. And what is the greatest blessing is instead of giving us knowledge for which we are accountable, he allows us to work by faith. As we work by faith, and as we repent, we are granted small increments of knowledge and blessings for -

"...God is merciful unto all who believe on his name; therefore he desireth...that ye should believe, yea, even on his word." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:22)

"...For he will give unto the faithful line upon line, precept upon precept; and I will try you and prove you herewith." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:12)

"...I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 28:30)

Alma compares this process to planting a seed -

"...behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words...Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:27 - 28)

But as with all seeds that beginneth to grow, we must-

"...nourish it with great care, that it may get root, that it may grow up, and bring forth fruit unto us. And now behold, if ye nourish it with much care it will get root, and grow up, and bring forth fruit." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:37)

And this is -

"...because of your diligence and your faith and your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:42)