Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, December 12, 2005

Alma 26 - 29

In revelation to Isaiah, the Lord talks about the bringing of his gospel to the people of the earth where he says -

"...behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid." (Old Testament Isaiah 29:14)

I find it interesting that he says that this marvelous work will take place among the people. The wisdom of the wise would be that if God is God he would make his his work and will made known to all men with a loud voice or some great unmistaken sign so that all men would know of his true church and gospel. Alma said -

"...there are many who do say: If thou wilt show unto us a sign from heaven, then we shall know of a surety; then we shall believe." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:17)

So why would an omnipotent God rely upon a few to to testify and teach the truth rather than using his power to broadcast to all?

"...For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts..." (Old Testament Isaiah 55:8 - 9)

We see how the Lord used Alma and Amulek as his instruments in preaching the gospel to the people of Ammonihah. An omnipotent God could have easily declared repentance by himself to the people but instead used man as his tools and instruments. Even Alma somewhat dreamed -

"...O THAT I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
2 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth..." (Book of Mormon Alma 29:1 - 2)

But understand the ways and will of the Lord, he confesses -

"...But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.
4 I ought not to harrow up in my desires, the firm decree of a just God..." (Book of Mormon Alma 29:3 - 4)

And then Alma thoughts turn to pondering the great plan of salvation and the agency of man -

"...for I know that he granteth unto men according to their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life; yea, I know that he allotteth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their wills, whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction.
5 Yea, and I know that good and evil have come before all men; he that knoweth not good from evil is blameless; but he that knoweth good and evil, to him it is given according to his desires, whether he desireth good or evil, life or death, joy or remorse of conscience." (Book of Mormon Alma 29:4 - 5)

This being the case, the great gift Lord has blessed his people with is the great opportunity to be a participant and an instrument in the Lord's hand in the marvelous work and a wonder. Alma continues -

"...seeing that I know these things, why should I desire more than to perform the work to which I have been called?
7 Why should I desire that I were an angel, that I could speak unto all the ends of the earth?" (Book of Mormon Alma 29:6 - 7)

"...I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." (Book of Mormon Alma 29:9)

Ammon expressed the same feelings with the success of he and his brethren amongst the Lamanites -

"...yea, and we have been instruments in his hands of doing this great and marvelous work.
16 Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." (Book of Mormon Alma 26:15 - 16)

And in doing acknowledges -

I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God.
12 Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things..." (Book of Mormon Alma 26:11 - 12)

Ammon closes with -

"...Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever." Book of Mormon Alma 26:37)

Alma testifies of the same -

"...I do not joy in my own success alone, but my joy is more full because of the success of my brethren, who have been up to the land of Nephi.
15 Behold, they have labored exceedingly, and have brought forth much fruit; and how great shall be their reward!
16 Now, when I think of the success of these my brethren my soul is carried away, even to the separation of it from the body, as it were, so great is my joy." (Book of Mormon Alma 29:14 - 16)

This is the marvelous work and a wonder, and -

"...he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing—unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed..." (Book of Mormon Alma 26:22)