Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Alma 37 - 39

The Lord commanded -

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." (New Testament John 5:39)

We see the evidence of this on the road to Emmaus, as the two travelers -

"...said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?"... (New Testament Luke 24:32)

Alma found that -

"...the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them..."(Book of Mormon Alma 31:5)

For it is -

"...the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..." (New Testament 2 Timothy 3:15 - 16)

As the sons of Mosiah began their mission amongst the Lamanites they-

"...waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.
3 But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God." (Book of Mormon Alma 17:2 - 3)

Because they had followed the counsel of the Lord later given to the Nephites during his visit on the American continent wherein the Lord said -

"...I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words which I am commanded of the Father to speak unto you at this time.
3 Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 17:2 - 3)

They were much like those described by Paul -

"...These were more noble...in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily..." (New Testament Acts 17:11)

We are not only to search and ponder the scriptures but do as Nephi when he said -

"...For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 4:15)

Because Ammon had searched and studied the scriptures he was prepared when Lamoni said he would believe his words. Ammon tells the king -

"...a portion of that Spirit dwelleth in me, which giveth me knowledge, and also power according to my faith and desires which are in God... and rehearsed and laid before him the records and the holy scriptures of the people..."Book of Mormon Alma 18:35 - 36)

Aaron did the same with King Laman as he -

"...did expound unto him the scriptures..." (Book of Mormon Alma 22:13)

The importance of searching, reading, pondering, and writing of the scriptures becomes apparent as Alma teaches Helaman about the records and that -

"...the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.
...they have enlarged the memory of this people, yea, and convinced many of the error of their ways, and brought them to the knowledge of their God unto the salvation of their souls." (Book of Mormon Alma 37:7 - 8)

For he tells Helaman -

"...were it not for these things that these records do contain, which are on these plates, Ammon and his brethren could not have convinced so many thousands of the Lamanites of the incorrect tradition of their fathers; yea, these records and their words brought them unto repentance; that is, they brought them to the knowledge of the Lord their God, and to rejoice in Jesus Christ their Redeemer." (Book of Mormon Alma 37:9)

Speaking of the scriptures, the Savior said -

I, Jesus Christ, your Lord and your God, have spoken it.
34 These words are not of men nor of man, but of me; wherefore, you shall testify they are of me and not of man;
35 For it is my voice which speaketh them unto you; for they are given by my Spirit unto you, and by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were by my power you could not have them;
36 Wherefore, you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my words." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:33 - 36)

As we then teach by the scriptures, I finish with the instructions of Alma to his son, Shiblon -

"...as ye have begun to teach the word even so I would that ye should continue to teach; and I would that ye would be diligent and temperate in all things.
11 See that ye are not lifted up unto pride; yea, see that ye do not boast in your own wisdom, nor of your much strength.
12 Use boldness, but not overbearance; and also see that ye bridle all your passions, that ye may be filled with love; see that ye refrain from idleness.
13 Do not pray ...to be heard of men, and to be praised for their wisdom....say: O Lord, forgive my unworthiness, and remember my brethren in mercy—yea, acknowledge your unworthiness before God at all times." (Book of Mormon Alma 38:10 - 14)