Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Alma 18 - 19

I home teach a family that are really good people but do not want to have any involvement with the Church. The family is not only one of my assigned but are also close neighbors. I struggle at times wondering how I can be both a good neighbor and at the same time, a good home teacher in that a feel a great deal of responsibility for their spiritual growth and opportunities. I was impressed with the approach of Ammon with King Lamoni. He didn’t begin preaching and crying repentance right off the bat but first worked to build trust with the King. When King Lamoni asked Ammon –

“…if it were his desire to dwell in the land among the Lamanites, or among his people…” (Book of Mormon Alma 17:22)

Ammon sincerely answered –

“…Yea, I desire to dwell among this people for a time; yea, and perhaps until the day I die…” (Book of Mormon Alma 17:23)

There is no question that Ammon said the right things for King Lamoni –

“…would that Ammon should take one of his daughters to wife…” (Book of Mormon Alma 17:24)

Probably because he had been taught –

“…whosoever did mingle his seed with that of the Lamanites did bring the same curse upon his seed.” (Book of Mormon Alma 3:9)

That Ammon tactfully said to King Lamoni –

“…Nay, but I will be thy servant…” (Book of Mormon Alma 17:25)

And that is what he did looking for every opportunity to continue in building trust and confidence with the king. One of them being at the water of Sebus as a certain number of Lamanites scattered the king’s flocks. Ammon seized the opportunity for -

“…when Ammon saw this his heart was swollen within him with joy; for, said he, I will show forth my power unto these my fellow–servants, or the power which is in me, in restoring these flocks unto the king, that I may win the hearts of these my fellow–servants, that I may lead them to believe in my words.
30 And now, these were the thoughts of Ammon, when he saw the afflictions of those whom he termed to be his brethren.” (Book of Mormon Alma 17:29 - 30)

Ammon understood that nothing would happen unless he himself did nothing for he thinks to himself –

“…I will show forth my power…” (Book of Mormon Alma 17:29)

But also recognizing the additional God given power or the power of the priesthood he possessed also considers –

“…or the power which is in me…” (Book of Mormon Alma 17:29)

As the opportunity arises, Ammon performs a great service in miraculously defending the king’s flocks. Even as his fellow servants testify to the king of this miraculous deliverance –

“…king Lamoni inquired of his servants, saying: Where is this man that has such great power?” (Book of Mormon Alma 18:8)

To which they respond –

“…Behold, he is feeding thy horses...” (Book of Mormon Alma 18:9)

Again, Ammon is doing everything he can to build the trust and confidence of king Lamoni for –

“…the king had commanded his servants, previous to the time of the watering of their flocks, that they should prepare his horses and chariots…now when king Lamoni heard that Ammon was preparing his horses and his chariots he was more astonished, because of the faithfulness of Ammon, saying: Surely there has not been any servant among all my servants that has been so faithful as this man; for even he doth remember all my commandments to execute them.” (Book of Mormon Alma 18:9 - 10)

I believe the example of Ammon helps me better understand how I should try to reach my home teaching families for as Lamoni developed trust in Ammon and sensed his sincerity, he tells Ammon -

“…Yea, I will believe all thy words…” (Book of Mormon Alma 18:23)

And as a result, Ammon -

“…expounded unto them the plan of redemption, which was prepared from the foundation of the world; and he also made known unto them concerning the coming of Christ, and all the works of the Lord did he make known unto them.
40 And it came to pass that after he had said all these things, and expounded them to the king, that the king believed all his words.” (Book of Mormon Alma 18:39 - 40)