Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Mosiah 24 - 26

We find even in the days of King Mosiah and Alma -

"...there were many of the rising generation that...did not believe the tradition of their fathers...neither did they believe concerning the coming of Christ.
3 And now because of their unbelief they could not understand the word of God; and their hearts were hardened." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:1 - 3)

This was not all, they were -

"in [a] carnal and sinful state; for they would not call upon the Lord their God." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:4)

And being in this carnal and sinful state -

"...they did deceive many with their flattering words, who were in the church, and did cause them to commit many sins..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:6)

"...because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind..." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:53)

As the head of the Church -

"...Alma was troubled in his spirit..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:10)

"...and he went and inquired of the Lord what he should do concerning this matter, for he feared that he should do wrong in the sight of God." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:13)

As a result of his sincere prayers, the Lord revealed to those who preside in his Church -

"...he that will hear my voice shall be my sheep; and him shall ye receive into the church, and him will I also receive.
22 For behold, this is my church; whosoever is baptized shall be baptized unto repentance. And whomsoever ye receive shall believe in my name; and him will I freely forgive." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:21 - 22)

And -

"...he that will not hear my voice, the same shall ye not receive into my church..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:28)

And of those who have been received into the Church -

"...and whosoever transgresseth against me, him shall ye judge according to the sins which he has committed; and if he confess his sins before thee and me, and repenteth in the sincerity of his heart, him shall ye forgive, and I will forgive him also.
30 Yea, and as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:29 - 30)

"...and whosoever will not repent of his sins the same shall not be numbered among my people..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:32)

And then speaking to the saints in general -

"...ye shall also forgive one another your trespasses; for verily I say unto you, he that forgiveth not his neighbor's trespasses when he says that he repents, the same hath brought himself under condemnation..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:31)

I know the Lord has said -

"...I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:10)

As I have pondered these last two verses, I seem to feel that it is required of us to forgive all men when we have particularly been offended. But, their are many cases where the offense has not been particularly directed to us but may be to others or the the Church. I feel it is in these such cases that we are required to forgive, when the offender has -

"...witnessed unto the church that they truly repented of all their sins." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:2)