Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, November 28, 2005

Mosiah 20 - 23

As the followers of Alma expressed a desire that Alma be their King -

"...for he was beloved by his people..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 23:6)

But Alma responded with -

"...Ye shall not esteem one flesh above another, or one man shall not think himself above another..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 23:7)

Alma knew that -

" if it were possible that [they] could always have just men to be [their] kings it would be well for [them] to have a king." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 23:8)

But he also remembered the great iniquity that was brought upon the people with a wicked King such as Noah and his priests for Alma, who was one of Noah's priests, confesses -

"...I myself was caught in a snare, and did many things which were abominable in the sight of the Lord..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 23:9)

But then he follows -

"...which caused me sore repentance;
10 Nevertheless, after much tribulation, the Lord did hear my cries, and did answer my prayers..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 23:9 - 10)

I think Alma teaches a great lesson here with the words "sore repentance". I believe that "sore" is a significant part of repentance. Some may feel that repentance only requires stopping, and/or changing and not doing a sin again. But I believe it requires more. Paul taught the Corinthians -

"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death." (New Testament 2 Corinthians 7:10)

For Paul tells them in sincerity -

"Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner..." (New Testament 2 Corinthians 7:9)

Alma the younger describes his repentance with -

"...I was racked with eternal torment, for my soul was harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins...." (Book of Mormon Alma 36:12)

Anti-Nephi-Lehi described this sore repentance as -

"...taken away the guilt from our hearts" (Book of Mormon Alma 24:10)

As Alma talks of his sore repentance, he also describes other natural results of complete repentance including humility, gratitude, and service where he follows -

"...and has made me an instrument in his hands in bringing so many of you to a knowledge of his truth.
11 Nevertheless, in this I do not glory, for I am unworthy to glory of myself." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 23:10 - 11)

Then he tells his people after sore repentance and -

"...as ye have been delivered by the power of God out of...the bonds of iniquity, even so I desire that ye should stand fast in this liberty wherewith ye have been made free, and that ye...no one to be your teacher nor your minister, except he be a man of God, walking in his ways and keeping his commandments." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 23:13 - 114)