Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Helaman 4 - 5

Helaman tells his sons, Nephi and Lehi -

"...I have given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good." (Book of Mormon Helaman 5:6)

I was touched with the admonishment that followed -

"...my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written..." (Book of Mormon Helaman 5:7)

I began to ponder, I can't imagine anything that I would desire more than some future record suggesting that I did that which was good. But even with this sincere desire, I must remember the purpose for which to do good -

"...that ye may not do these things that ye may boast, but that ye may do these things to lay up for yourselves a treasure in heaven, yea, which is eternal, and which fadeth not away; yea, that ye may have that precious gift of eternal life..." (Book of Mormon Helaman 5:8)

In doing so, I must -

"...remember, remember...the words which king Benjamin spake unto his people; yea, remember that there is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, who shall come; yea, remember that he cometh to redeem the world..." (Book of Mormon Helaman 5:9)

"...remember...the words which Amulek spake unto Zeezrom, in the city of Ammonihah; for he said unto him that the Lord surely should come to redeem his people, but that he should not come to redeem them in their sins, but to redeem them from their sins.
11 And he hath power given unto him from the Father to redeem them from their sins because of repentance; therefore he hath sent his angels to declare the tidings of the conditions of repentance, which bringeth unto the power of the Redeemer, unto the salvation of their souls..." (Book of Mormon Helaman 5:10 - 11)

"...remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." (Book of Mormon Helaman 5:12)

The secret here is to "remember, remember". Both Nephi & Lehi did -

"...did remember his words; and therefore they went forth, keeping the commandments of God, to teach the word of God among all the people of Nephi..." (Book of Mormon Helaman 5:14)

And among the Lamanites. I would write of their teaching among the Lamanites I choose not to in this blog because it would be lengthy and I doubt I could express the emotions I feel of that which is recorded in the 5th Chapter of Helaman. I encourage any reader to read of this event on their own. I can promise, if read in faith and an open heart, the Spirit of the Lord will witness it's truthfulness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home