Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Words of Mormon - Mosiah 1

Nephi, Jacob, and Enos, and Mormon expressed how important it was to them to have their sacred writings and records kept and preserved for future generations. (see 2 Nephi 25:21, Jacob 1:3, Enos 1:16, W of M 1:11) Mormon tells us -

"...And I, Mormon, pray to God that they may be preserved from this time henceforth. And I know that they will be preserved; for there are great things written upon them, out of which my people and their brethren shall be judged at the great and last day, according to the word of God which is written..." (Book of Mormon Words of Mormon 1:11)

By the time Mormon receives the records, which is hundreds of years after Enos, the size and volume must have been immense. It is Mormon that is inspired to make his own record of the things that he feels is of most worth to future generations for he tells us -

"...And now, I speak somewhat concerning that which I have written; for after I had made an abridgment from the plates of Nephi...and the things which are upon these plates pleasing me, because of the prophecies of the coming of Christ... and I cannot write the hundredth part of the things of my people..." (Book of Mormon Words of Mormon 1:3 - 5)

And as he was in the process of making an abridgment of those things which were most pleasing to him, he tells us as he -

"...searched among the records which had been delivered into my hands, and I found these plates, which contained this small account of the prophets, from Jacob down to the reign of this king Benjamin, and also many of the words of Nephi..." (Book of Mormon Words of Mormon 1:3)

And then he tells us -

"...I shall take these plates, which contain these prophesyings and revelations, and put them with the remainder of my record, for they are choice unto me; and I know they will be choice unto my brethren." (Book of Mormon Words of Mormon 1:6)

He just doesn't arbitrarily do that, he says -

"...I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will..." (Book of Mormon Words of Mormon 1:7)

As I read these words this morning, I kind of felt that my blogging was somewhat like that of Mormon. Though I admit I am nothing near to the stature of Mormon, my scripture blogging is in a sense is an abridgement of an abridgement of those things which are most pleasing to me. The things I write I believe are also -

"...according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me..." (Book of Mormon Words of Mormon 1:7)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home