Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Enos - Omni

I believe Enos, the son of Jacob, gives us some great insight into the "still small voice" mentioned by Elijah. (1 Kings 19:12)

"...I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.
4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:3 - 4)

And as he did -

"...there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:5)

And Enose says to the voice -

"...Lord, how is it done?..." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:7)

And the voice of the Lord said -

"...Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole..." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:8)

I believe a sign or evidence that a person has obtained a spiritual witness or testimony of Jesus Christ is that he will be filled with love and will immediately become interested in the salvation of others and want to share with them this new found truth. Enos relates that upon receiving his witness -

"...I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:9)

And then,

"...while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments...." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:10)

As Enos explains that the still small voice came into his mind, again, suggests the previous voice of the Lord or the communication with the Lord was also in his mind. This follows right along with the instruction of the Lord to Oliver Cowdery -

"...I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 8:2)

And this still small voice -

"...is the spirit of revelation..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 8:3)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home