Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 24, 2019

1 Peter 5

This morning, I had two thoughts concerning Peter's counsel to the saints.  The first is that he spoke directly to those that held the Melchizedek priesthood or -

"The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:
2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;
3 Neither as being lords over God’s heritage, but being ensamples to the flock."  (1 Peter 5:1–3)

Basically, elders are to feed the flock, or teach and minister too.  As well as being humble examples.

The second thought was concerning, in my mind, qualifying for  justification -

"...all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time..."  (1 Peter 5:5–6)

This says to me that His grace has conditions