Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, September 29, 2017

D&C 45

This morning I read concerning -

"...they that knew no law shall have part in the first resurrection; and it shall be tolerable for them."  (Doctrine and Covenants 45:54)

We know from the Prophet's vision of the three degrees of glory where -

"...we saw the terrestrial world, and behold and lo, these are they who are of the terrestrial, whose glory differs from that of the church of the Firstborn who have received the fulness of the Father, even as that of the moon differs from the sun in the firmament.
72 Behold, these are they who died without law..."  (Doctrine and Covenants 76:71–72)

I confess I have struggled with these verses in the past where I interpreted "knew no law" was of no fault of the individual.  But this morning a different thought came to me.  Suddenly, I felt "knew no law" was because of an individual's choice.  We are constantly being counseled to study the scriptures, read the Book of Mormon every day, attend Church.  It is herein where we learn of the doctrines and law of the kingdom.

In the 32nd Chapter of Alma, Alma taught how one learns and experiments upon the word, or doctrines and laws of God.  He then explains how one comes to "know laws" are of God.