Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 20, 2017

D&C 90

Much like Nephi counseled to liken the scriptures to ourselves and our day, I was struck by the instructions this morning -

"Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good, if ye walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith ye have covenanted one with another."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 90:24)

Then with that the Lord counsels -

"Let your families be small, especially mine aged servant Joseph Smith's, Sen., as pertaining to those who do not belong to your families;
26 That those things that are provided for you, to bring to pass my work, be not taken from you and given to those that are not worthy—
27 And thereby you be hindered in accomplishing those things which I have commanded you."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 90:25 - 27)

There is no questions that we are to care for the poor and the needy.  Yet at the same time, we are not to run faster than we are able.  It appears to me that on one hand, Joseph Smith, Sr. was being very faithful in housing those that came to Kirtland.  But on the other hand, he must be careful that it does not limit his ability to accomplish that which he is commanded.  Obviously, this is a personal issue and must be guided by the Spirit.

I could not help but relate this to our country and current events.  Some want open borders to allow any refuge to enter, but there is also wisdom in limiting such so as not to overburden the country and its purpose...even acknowledging that there are some that "are not worthy".