Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

BofM - Preface

As I begin my reading again of the Book of Mormon using the comments of David J. Ridges, I think it important to understand that -

"...as you read the title page that Joseph Smith dictated the translation to his scribe who then wrote it down. When it was taken to the printer, it was left up to the printer to punctuate it. In this case, the printer chose to use dashes to separate the various phrases, along with a few commas and an occasional semicolon. For instance, if you read the last phrase of the first paragraph, where it says, “The interpretation thereof by the gift of God,” you will sense the problem the printer faced in punctuating a translation from an ancient language. If it were normal English, it would need some additional words to make a proper English sentence out of it. As it is, it is just there, as is the case with such ancient languages, one thought coming after the previous thought, in a manner typical of near eastern languages."  Ridges, David J. (2007-08-01). The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part 1 (The Gospel Studies Series) (pp. 1-2).