Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Isaiah 8

As Isaiah counseled Judah to rely upon the Lord and not to rely upon alliance for their defense, he prophesied -

"Associate yourselves, O ye people, and ye shall be broken in pieces; and give ear, all ye of far countries: gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces; gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces.
10 Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought; speak the word, and it shall not stand..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 8:9 - 10)

In fact Isaiah shares this personal instruction to rely upon the Lords which would apply to all  -

"For the LORD spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying,
12 Say ye not, A confederacy, to all them to whom this people shall say, A confederacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid.
13 Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.
14 And he shall be for a sanctuary..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 8:11 - 14)

And of this instruction, Isaiah was to -

"Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 8:16)

That is, to those that would hear.

As Isaiah expected that Ahaz and Judah would not repent and turn to the Lord, he thought that they would turn to wicked sorcerers, wizards, and those that were corrupt for counsel, he said -

"To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 8:20)

And thus destruction would follow for -

"...hey shall be driven to darkness."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 8:22)