Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, June 22, 2012

Alma 34

After Alma had seem to catch the attention and hearts of many Zoramites, Amulek stands and provides one of the clearest doctrine of the purpose of law of Moses and its relationship with the atonement of Jesus Christ. I can't help but note that Amulek seemed a little bit annoyed by what seemed as excuse of ignorance by the Zoramites saying -

"My brethren, I think that it is impossible that ye should be ignorant of the things which have been spoken concerning the coming of Christ, who is taught by us to be the Son of God; yea, I know that these things were taught unto you bountifully before your dissension from among us." (Book of Mormon | Alma 34:2)

But setting tha aside he states -

"...the great question which is in your minds is whether the word be in the Son of God, or whether there shall be no Christ." (Book of Mormon | Alma 34:5)

I love then the strength of the tesimony of Amulek -

"And now, behold, I will testify unto you of myself that these things are true. Behold, I say unto you, that I do know that Christ shall come among the children of men, to take upon him the transgressions of his people, and that he shall atone for the sins of the world; for the Lord God hath spoken it.
9 For it is expedient that an atonement should be made; for according to the great plan of the Eternal God there must be an atonement made, or else all mankind must unavoidably perish." (Book of Mormon | Alma 34:8 - 9)

Refering to the law of Moses, Amulek reasons that an infinite atonement can be -

"...not a sacrifice of man, neither of beast, neither of any manner of fowl; for it shall not be a human sacrifice; but it must be an infinite and eternal sacrifice.
11 Now there is not any man that can sacrifice his own blood which will atone for the sins of another..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 34:10 - 11)

He then teaches the pure doctrine -

"Therefore, it is expedient that there should be a great and last sacrifice, and then shall there be, or it is expedient there should be, a stop to the shedding of blood; then shall the law of Moses be fulfilled..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 34:13)

The sacrifice of blood in the law of Moses was no longer necessary as a schoolmaster. This sacrifice would be the last and great sacrifice -

"...yea, infinite and eternal."(Book of Mormon | Alma 34:14)

This would be the actual sacrifice of the Son of God. But only for -

"...all those who shall believe on his name; this being the intent of this last sacrifice, to bring about the bowels of mercy, which overpowereth justice, and bringeth about means unto men that they may have faith unto repentance." (Book of Mormon | Alma 34:15)

We must specifically note that believing was not the only thing required, but sufficient "faith unto repentance".