Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, June 15, 2012

Alma 30

Korihor seemed to have the same coercive ability and pleasing language that seemed to feed on the "natural man"...anything that may justify their actions behavior, as many politicians of our day. It's that type of language that encourages less personal responsibility and self-reliance. That everything bad that is going on in their lives was caused by something else. One thing Korihor said that may ring in the ears of the natural man regarding religion and faith in Jesus Christ, was -

"...why do ye yoke yourselves with such foolish things?" (Book of Mormon | Alma 30:13)

And then he follows with -

"How do ye know of their surety? Behold, ye cannot know of things which ye do not see..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 30:15)

And then also -

"...ye keep them down, even as it were in bondage, that ye may glut yourselves with the labors of their hands..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 30:27)

This may be the questions of many of our day. I would like to respond. Why do I yoke myself? It is true as we make sacred covenants, as we accept consecrated callings, these things place on us, in a sense, a yoke of responsibility. I answer that I do this because of not only the blessings of the atonement that I have a testimony of, but the yoke of responsibility brings with it a great deal of joy and satisfaction. All I can say is this yoke is a wonderful thing.

And how do I know of a surety? I know because I have received many witnesses by the power of the Holy Ghost which the world knows nothing or is completely ignorant of for -

"Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." (New Testament | John 14:17)

To me, this is the mysteries of God that are mysteries -

"...Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given." (New Testament | Matthew 13:11)

The last question is ridiculous. I receive no power nor do I receive any worldly compensation for my labors. But it is the language that the natural man falls for.