Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Alma 29

Alma sbares in his record -

"O THAT I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
2 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth." (Book of Mormon | Alma 29:1 - 2)

But then he shares this understanding -

"But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me." (Book of Mormon | Alma 29:3)

He understands that this is not the way of the Lord for he later teaches his son -

"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.
7 And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls." (Book of Mormon | Alma 37:6 - 7)

Alma understands that the Lord is very sensitive to allowing agency for -

"...he granteth unto men according to their desire, whether it be unto death or unto life..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 29:4)

"...according to their wills, whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction." (Book of Mormon | Alma 29:4)

Therefore -

"...seeing that [we] know these things, why should [we] desire more than to perform the work to which [we] have been called?" (Book of Mormon | Alma 29:6)