Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, January 27, 2012

2 Nephi 2

As Lehi spoke to his son Jacob, whom I picture as a young man, he acknowledged -

"...Thou art my first-born in the days of my tribulation in the wilderness. And behold, in thy childhood thou hast suffered afflictions and much sorrow, because of the rudeness of thy brethren." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:1)

I think rudeness in this case may have even meant cruelty. But then, Lehi follows that because -

"...thou knowest the greatness of God; and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:2)

This suggest that there is something special that happens as we suffer aflictions in righteousness. No question there is spiritual growth. As I recently blogged, Isaiah said of Israel -

"I have refined thee, I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 20:10)

As we search the scriptures, it seems all prophets suffered some manner of afliction. James counseled -

"Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience." (New Testament | James 5:10)

It seems all benefit and are refined in righteous suffering of affliction in patience. The Lord said to the Prophet Joseph Smith as he suffered afliction in the Liberty Jail -

"...know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 122:7)

It doesn't take much to look at the prophets and recognize how minimal our afflictions are and were to theirs.