Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, January 19, 2012

1 Nephi 19

As Nephi again explains his purpose or preparing a more sacred record the ministry and prophecies of the Lord in his day, a sense that he is somewhat worried as he comments -

"...I do not write anything upon plates save it be that I think it be sacred. And now, if I do err, even did they err of old; not that I would excuse myself because of other men, but because of the weakness which is in me, according to the flesh, I would excuse myself." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:6)

But then he makes a truthful and important observation -

"For the things which some men esteem to be of great worth, both to the body and soul, others set at naught and trample under their feet. Yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample under their feet; I say, trample under their feet but I would speak in other words—they set him at naught, and hearken not to the voice of his counsels." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:7)

I am one of the that esteem Nephi's words as of great worth. I know they are true. I also, just as Nephi did for his people -

"...I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:23)

I know there are others that mock. But the Lord said -

"...Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness..." (Book of Mormon | Ether 12:26)