Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, January 16, 2012

1 Nephi 17

As I read of the journey of the Lehi's family and associates in the wilderness, I noticed that when they were actually traveling, though it was very difficult and challenging, Nephi never records any significant murmuring or rebellion. This only seems to take place when they stop for a period to rest. Work seems to bless our lives while "resting" or being idol seems to be "the devils workshop".

In years past, we have taken young men and women of "handcart treks". I can testify that as these young people work together in an exhausting way, they become humble and more teachable.

Nephite records that they -

"...did travel and wade through much affliction in the wilderness; and our women did bear children in the wilderness." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 17:1)

And while traveling which must have been hard work, Nephi testifies that -

"...so great were the blessings of the Lord upon us, that while we did live upon raw meat in the wilderness, our women did give plenty of suck for their children, and were strong, yea, even like unto the men; and they began to bear their journeyings without murmurings." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 17:2)

I note then that it was during their journeyings that they were not murmuring. Nephi then concludes -

"...thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 17:3)

The blessings and tender mercies always seem to depend on faithfulness and keeping the commandments.