Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

1 Nephi 11

In our day, the Lord told the elders of the Church -

"...ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 43:16)

and of this endowment of being taught from on his the Lord said -

"...for this cause I gave unto you the commandment that ye should go to the Ohio; and there I will give unto you my law; and there you shall be endowed with power from on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:32)

Not only was his law given, but few would argue that being taught from on high was to be done in the Kirtland Temple for -

"...I gave unto you a commandment that you should build a house, in the which house I design to endow those whom I have chosen with power from on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 95:8)

Throughout the scriptures, the Lord has taught his children from on high in temples and mountains. It seems to me the two are synonymous in many ways. Isaiah saw our day saying -

"...Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths..." (Old Testament | Isaiah 2:3)

As I read the great vision of Nephi, I noticed that Nephi records that -

"...after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 11:1)

First, I felt I should comment on what Nephi did to receive this great vision. First he desired, then he believed, and then he pondered. And it was then he was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord. And his Nephi's case, he was caught away "into" a exceedingly high mountain. I noticed that Nephi did not write that he was on a high mountain or that he was caught unto a high mountain. I noticed he wrote - into a exceedingly high mountain. My thoughts was, could this be symbolically a temple of the Lord? It would be in the Mountain of the Lord's House or the Temple wherein one would be taught and endowed from on high.

Just my thoughts this morning as I read the testimony of Nephi.