Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, December 15, 2011

1 Nephi 4

In the beginning, one like unto God said -

"...we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them..." (Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 3:25)

The plan and purpose then was always to "prove" man. I interpret that to mean to test and try man for the purpose of development and worthiness.

As we consider the proving of many of the great prophets, James counseled -
"Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience." (New Testament | James 5:10)

In modern day the Lord counseled -

"...let your diligence, and your perseverance, and patience, and your works be redoubled, and you shall in nowise lose your reward, saith the Lord of Hosts. And if they persecute you, so persecuted they the prophets and righteous men that were before you. For all this there is a reward in heaven." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 127:4)

One would have to assume that in order to learn perseverance and patience, things cannot be a layed out in a straight line with no challenges or stumblingblocks. I am reminded when that after Paul was cast into jail in Jerusalem -

"...the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome." (New Testament | Acts 23:11)

It is interesting then to follow Paul's way to Rome which included additional years in prison, delays, and even being shipwrecked. Even thought Nephi believed -

"...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 3:7)

I think in his young age, he did not believe it would be easy. As Nephi describes the challenges he faced in getting the brass plates of Laban, because it was years later, I don't think he described all the challenges which must have transpired in his approximate two hundred mile return to Jerusalem. I doubt that it was not unsafe and treacherous. And then they had several instances of being rejected and their lives threatened by Laban in just acquiring the plates. It's obvious that Nephi and his brothers were being "proven". But even after several failures, what impressed me the most, as is evidence of perserverance and patient, Nephi shares the beginning of his successful attempt -

"I, Nephi, crept into the city and went forth towards the house of Laban.
6 And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 4:5 - 6)

I don't think there could be a better example of what true faith is.