Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dad's Passing

With my scripture blog, I consider it somewhat of a journal also. Recently my father passed away. I wanted to share a few thoughts.

My father was 88 years old. My mother passed away about 11 years ago. Over the past 11 years, I know my father longed to be with her.

Dad had emergency surgery 2 & 1/2 weeks ago. We hoped that he would recover, but knew that it would be very difficult for a man his age. A few days later we received word that everything in his body was shutting down. We knew his passing would probably be that day. I come from a family of ten children. We were all able to be there as his respirator was removed. Within an hour, he passed away. But with his passing came a "tender mercy" of knowledge beyond the vail. While we stood together at his hospital bed, suddenly my sister was completely overcome or better described, overpowered with the presence of my mother. Having had a similar experience previously, she suddenly exclaimed "Mom is her!" I know this was real and not just a feeling for I held her for a short period and felt the virtue taken from her. I knew then that Mom had come to take dad. Almost immediately, Dad passed away. Mom had come to take Dad home. Those that do not have faith in a hereafter, have never had such a tender mercy extended to them.

I was asked by my father to speak at his funeral. The following were my remarks -

Dad's Funeral
October 10, 2011

Like Nephi of old, I was -

"... born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 1:1)

It seems that each time I begin another reading of the Book of Mormon, an image of Dad enters my mind as I read of the attributes and faithfulness of Father Lehi. I would suspect that is because much like Lehi, Dad was a "visionary man". It was a gift of the Spirit. He may have shared a few of his many dreams and visions with some of you that are here today.

Years ago, I was awakened in the middle of the night to find my father at the end of my bed. He appeared greatly distressed. He had just awakened from a dream. I dream that must have been so alarming that he needed to awaken and warn me that very night.

Because of the nature of his dream, he told me that he knew that Satan greatly desired to destroy me. Even though he did not reveal the details of his dream, I sensed a great concern for my physical well being. There, at the foot of my bed, in the darkness of the night, he warned me several times to be wise and very careful in everything I chose to do. He told me Satan would destroy me if he ever had an open opportunity to do so.

With a little bit of embarrassment, I confess that I remember thinking, okay, whatever! And went back to sleep.

Well, just a few days later, I chose, or better said, failed to heed his warnings, and because of that, I found myself in the hospital with a collapsed lung. But even though I had been very foolish and in a sense “deaf” to his warning, I was blessed with a strained and aggravated muscle in my back that has since served as a constant reminder, that whenever I tend to turn to the left or veer to the right, I am reminded of that night's patriarchal warning and the need to remain focused on that which is most important in my life.

Much like father Lehi experienced in his great vision of the Tree of Life, Dad, while in his youth, was lead by a man in white (whom I picture as my grandfather) through a dark and dreary waste until he too –

"...beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:10)

And even while yet as a young man, Dad –

"...did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and...beheld that it was most sweet, above all that [he] ever before tasted." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:11)

Even such that it did –

"...[fill his] soul with exceedingly great joy..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:12)

Years later, as his family came to be, much like Father Lehi, Dad –

"… began to be desirous that [his] family should partake of it also; for [he] knew that it was desirable above all other fruit." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:12)

And because of that, throughout his entire life he –

"...beckoned unto them; and also did say unto them with a loud voice [the loud voice of example] that they should come...and partake of the fruit, which was desirable above all other fruit." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:15)

Lehi said that as he cast his eyes round about in order to discover his family, the landscape of his vision began to open to his view, and he –

"...beheld a rod of iron...[which] led to the tree by which [he] stood.
20 And [he] also beheld a strait [as in something very restrictive] and narrow path, which came along by the rod of iron, even to the tree by which [he] stood..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:19 - 20)

And as his vision continued to unfold, He saw –

"...numberless concourses of people, many of whom were pressing forward, that they might obtain the path which led unto the tree..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:21)

And after they had commenced on the path, which would alarm any loving parent, he saw that –

"...there arose ... an exceedingly great mist of darkness, insomuch that they who had commenced in the path did lose their way, that they wandered off..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:23)

While at the same time, there were also –

"...others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:24)

Obviously, Lehi was not the only one that did partake of the fruit of the tree. It was available to all who were willing to press forward unto the tree.

This vision of Lehi was not the first time that we find the representation of Tree of Life. Years before, this same tree was represented in the Garden of Eden. And as Adam and Eve were evicted from the Garden, we know the Lord placed -

"...cherubim and a flaming sword, which turned every way to keep the way of the tree of life." (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:31)

One cannot help but wonder, "why would the Lord keep every way to the tree of life"? Because, as Amulek would later explain to the people of Ammonihah, it was because man would not nor could not –

"...be saved in [their] sins." (Book of Mormon | Alma 11:37)

After Amulek had spoken to the people, Alma stood and explained that it was not even –

"...possible for Adam to have partaken of the fruit of the tree of life at that time..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 12:23)

But even though it was not possible at that time, the Lord did covenant with Adam and Eve, that a way would be provided whereby they could partake of the fruit of the Tree of Life, but that way –

“… could not be brought about except an atonement should be made; therefore God himself atoneth for the sins of the world…” (Book of Mormon | Alma 42:15)

And thus, through the atonement of Jesus Christ, a way was provided. Years later, Helaman taught his sons –

"...remember that there is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ..."

And then Helaman pleaded with his sons -

"...remember…the words which Amulek spake...that the Lord surely should come to redeem his people, but that he should not come to redeem them in their sins, but to redeem them from their sins." (Book of Mormon | Helaman 5:9 - 10)

Redeem them "from their sins" then would suggest that sins must first be repented of, for Nephi also saw the same vision of his father wherein he also beheld the way and the restricting nature of the -

"...straitness of the path, and [also] the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter" (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 31:9)

Of this gate, Nephi taught –

"For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 31:17)

Nephi understood that just by entering the gate was not sufficient to obtain the Tree for he asked –

"Now… after ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay..." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 31:19)

For entering, by the gate to the narrow path, is only just the beginning –

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ... feasting upon the word of Christ..." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 31:20)

The great blessing of this infinite atonement of the Savior, to save us “from our sins”, would only come about by repentance and obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel, and pressing forward with a steadfastness in Christ. That is that man could only be “saved from their sins", by entering the gate, and moving forward on the strait and narrow path, holding fast to the iron rod which would lead to the Tree of Life.

This is not new doctrine. The Lord promised John the Revelator that –

"...To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life..." (New Testament | Revelation 2:7)

This would also suggest those who do not enter in by the gate, or who will not strive to overcome, will not partake of the fruit of the tree. This doctrine becomes more evident as Lehi also saw –

"...an awful gulf, which separated the wicked from the tree of life, and also from the saints [or family] of God." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 15:28)

And not just an awful gulf that did separate the wicked from the tree , but much like the flaming sword that did keep the way to the Tree of Life in the garden, Nephi also saw the –

"...justice of God did also divide the wicked from the righteous; and the brightness thereof was like unto the brightness of a flaming fire, which ascendeth up unto God forever and ever, and hath no end." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 15:30)

The justice of God then must have been the same flaming fire or sword that did keep the way to the Tree of Life in the garden. While the justice of God continues to keep the way to the Tree of Life, it is the mercy of God or the atonement of Jesus Christ that provides a way, only one way, for the faithful to come forth and eat of the fruit of the tree.

As Nephi writes of his father's vision of the Tree of Life, he specifically notes of a very interesting occurrence that took place as the people approached the tree, of which I must confess that at first seemed quite illogical to me, in that Nephi wrote that as his father –

"...saw other multitudes... [that] they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:30)

As I visualized his words, my thoughts seemed to ask, "Wait a minute, that doesn't seem right". Why would this multitude, as they came forth to the tree, fall down? That doesn’t make sense. Would they not just approach the tree and partake of its fruit.

You can sense my analytical way of thinking as my mind seem to follow with another question. "And if they have fallen down, how would they then partake of the fruit of the tree? Many of you might think, hey, it's just a vision, what's the big deal. But for some reason, it was a big deal to me. I had a sincere desire to understand its meaning.

I believe the answer to the first question, "why would they fall down as they came forth to the Tree?" may be more easily answered with the question, "what does the Tree of Life represent?” or maybe even better asked – “Who is the Tree of Life?".

Because of Nephi's great –

"...desire to behold the things which [his] father saw..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 11:3)

The Spirit of the Lord later opened much of the same great vision to Nephi as he had to his father in which the Spirit instructed Nephi -

"...that after thou hast beheld the tree which bore the fruit which thy father tasted, thou shalt also behold a man descending out of heaven, and him shall ye witness; and after ye have witnessed him ye shall bear record that it is the Son of God." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 11:7)

By referencing "it is the Son of God" then "it would be in reference to the Tree. Or the Tree of Life is the Son of God.

Elder David A. Bednar recently said at a fireside at BYU –

"...The tree of life is the central feature in the dream and is identified...as a representation of Jesus Christ. (David A. Bednar, A Reservoir of Living Water, BYU Fireside, 4 February 2007.)

And if the Savior is then represented by the Tree of Life, then what meaneth the fruit of the tree. Elder Bednar continued –

"...The fruit on the tree is a symbol for the blessings of the Savior’s Atonement..."

Of which blessings, Alma provided a great deal more incite as he spoke the words of Christ to the saints in Zarahemla –

"...Come unto me and ye shall partake of the fruit of the tree of life; yea, ye shall eat and drink of the bread and the waters of life freely..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 5:34)

Where more are the blessings of the atonement more manifest as we regularly eat and drink of the bread and the waters of life freely in sacred sacrament services? The Savior said of this ordinance to His disciples -

"...Take, eat; this is in remembrance of my body which I give a ransom for you..."

And -

"...Drink ye all of it. For this is in remembrance of my blood of the new testament, which is shed for as many as shall believe on my name, for the remission of their sins." (JST: New Testament | Matthew 26:26 - 28)

…or being saved from their sins. It is by eating and drinking of these sacred emblems that we remember and experience the blessings of the atonement.

Does that not seem to help us understand why those that did come forth to the Tree of Life did fall down in reverent worship? Does it not explain why the fruit of the tree is so desirable to make one happy?

But there was still that other question, that I was still struggling with - “if these people had fallen in reverent worship, how would they then partake of the fruit of the tree?” As I continued my study of the scriptures, I eventually became somewhat satisfied with the teachings of Alma to the Zoramites –

"...ye shall reap the rewards of your faith, and your diligence, and patience, and long-suffering, waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit unto you." (Book of Mormon | Alma 32:43)

I came to the conclusion that if I continued to press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, the tree itself would, at some point, bring forth the fruit unto me.

Not long ago I had personal and sacred experience. I was attending a ward sacrament service within our stake. It was during the administration of the sacrament that day, that I just happened to be pondering these very questions of the atonement, the meaning of the fruit, and the bread and waters of life. When of a sudden, which truthfully caught me a little off guard, stood a young man with a tray extended before me. A young man I immediately recognized held priesthood authority to represent the Savior, even the Tree of Life. For me, it was a revelatory experience as I realized that one representing the Tree of Life had just brought forth the fruit unto me. It couldn't have been a meaningful experience, as I now being enlightened, did reach forth my hand and did pluck of the fruit of the Tree.

As we contemplate the significance of partaking of the bread and waters of life freely, even the fruit that is desirable to make one happy, do we really understand the sacred nature and importance of regular attendance and partaking of the sacrament?

As we ponder the lessons taught in the vision of the Tree of Life and its relationship with the sacrament, it becomes apparent that coming forth to the Tree and partaking of the fruit is not the final destination, for Nephi said there were those that –

"...after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:25)

...for we know it was because of their pride and cares of the world. This would also suggest of those that come forth to the tree, unprepared and impenitent, to them the fruit of the tree must seem quite tasteless and with very little meaning.

As we recognize that partaking of the fruit of the tree is not necessarily reaching a destination, we begin to realize that it is more of a process wherein after having entered the gate, we press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and then regularly, being prepared to worship in repentant humility, we approach the Tree of Life weekly in sacred sacrament services, partaking and refreshing ourselves of its fruit.

I testify that Jesus is the Christ; He is the Tree of life, the only name, means, or way whereby man can be saved. May I conclude with the testimony of Alma because they are also my words –

"I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?
46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.
47 And moreover, I say unto you that it has thus been revealed unto me, that the words which have been spoken by our fathers are true, even so according to the spirit of prophecy which is in me..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 5:45 - 47)

I cannot help but picture at this time, Mom and Dad, hand in hand, having fallen is grateful worship, before the Tree of Life. Even now, I see Dad just as Lehi of old, with a pleading motion -

"...with all the feeling of a tender parent..." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 8:37)

...beckoning to his children, grandchildren, his posterity, and all that will hear, "come partake of the fruit of the Tree of Life, for it is the only fruit that will truly make one eternally happy." Please, oh please, come partake of the fruit.