Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, September 01, 2011

2 Corinthians 5

Paul taught -

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." (New Testament | 2 Corinthians 5:17)

As Alma repented and regained his strenght, he declared -

"I have repented of my sins, and have been redeemed of the Lord; behold I am born of the Spirit.
25 And the Lord said unto me: Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters;
26 And thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 27:24 - 26)

It is apparent that repentance is a condition that must be satisfied in order to be redeemed of the Lord. "Thus becoming a new creature". To become a "new creature", one must repent or as Paul states (passing away old things". You must pass away old or the natural man to become a new creature.

Paul seems to use the word reconciliation as synonymous to redemption. Reconciliation means to resolve, settle, or put in line. That is -

"...that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation." (New Testament | 2 Corinthians 5:19)

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." (New Testament | 2 Corinthians 5:21)

Thus we become new creatures, as we put off the old life and take on the new life which is living as Christ taught.