Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

2 Corinthians 2

In my reading this morning, two of Paul's teaching seemed to touch me. The first being the principle of forgiveness wherein Paul pleads to the Corinthians -

"Sufficient to such a man is this punishment, which was inflicted of many.
7 So that contrariwise ye ought rather to forgive him, and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one should be swallowed up with overmuch sorrow.
8 Wherefore I beseech you that ye would confirm your love toward him." (New Testament | 2 Corinthians 2:6 - 8)

Paul understands that forgiving others a commandment as well as a test, writing -

"For to this end also did I write, that I might know the proof of you, whether ye be obedient in all things." (New Testament | 2 Corinthians 2:9)

For Paul also understands the consequence of not forgiving others -

"Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices." (New Testament | 2 Corinthians 2:11)

Paul knows that if we hold a grudge, it can destroy us.

The second thought came as Paul spoke of the countenance, light or glory of Moses as he came down from the mount. Like Moses, as we are faithful and are filled with the Spirit, we too begin to take upon us this same glory - even the glory of God. We become more like God. Paul explained -

"Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." (New Testament | 2 Corinthians 3:16 - 18)

"Beholding as in a glass" would be looking in the mirror or speaking of ourselves.