Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

D&C 125

One of the unique things of the Lord's restored Church is that the membership of the Church is divided into geographical boundaries of stakes and wards. Members may live where they may choose, but do not choose which congregation they attend. That is determined by the boundaries in which the member lives. Presiding priesthood leaders have keys of authority and administer and minister within those boundaries. Even in the early days of the Church, the Lord was asked -

"WHAT is the will of the Lord concerning the saints in the Territory of Iowa?" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 125:1)

Was it okay to settle in Iowa or were all the saints to live in Nauvoo? The Lord answered -

"...if those who call themselves by my name and are essaying to be my saints, if they will do my will and keep my commandments concerning them, let them gather themselves together unto the places which I shall appoint unto them by my servant Joseph, and build up cities unto my name, that they may be prepared for that which is in store for a time to come." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 125:2)

Those places being within stakes and wards. In response to the original question, the Lord continued -

"Let them build up a city unto my name upon the land opposite the city of Nauvoo, and let the name of Zarahemla be named upon it.
4 And let all those who come from the east, and the west, and the north, and the south, that have desires to dwell therein, take up their inheritance in the same, as well as in the city of Nashville, or in the city of Nauvoo, and in all the stakes which I have appointed." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 125:3 - 4)

The choice is left to the member "that have desires to dwell therein" unless an individual is called to another location.