Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, February 12, 2009

D&C 88

The teaches the importance of laws and obedience to laws saying -

"All kingdoms have a law given;
37 And there are many kingdoms; for there is no space in the which there is no kingdom; and there is no kingdom in which there is no space, either a greater or a lesser kingdom.
38 And unto every kingdom is given a law; and unto every law there are certain bounds also and conditions.
39 All beings who abide not in those conditions are not justified." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:36 - 39)

I specifically note that for every law there are conditions. The question is, what are these conditions. I think it may have more to do with how we feel about these laws and the reason for our obedience. Is it out of fear, conscience, or love. The Lord stated one of the great commandments or conditions -

"...Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy might, mind, and strength..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 59:5)

I note the condition of "love". He has also stated the condition -

"...for God wills that it shall be done with an eye single to his glory..." (Book of Mormon Mormon 8:15)

Elder Rober L. Simpson said the following -

"We do right for various reasons...some people do right simply because they don’t want to be punished for doing wrong. When we do right for fear of retribution, I think our foundation is very shaky. Another might say, ‘I want to do right because I have always been taught that this is the thing to do.’ Well, such reasoning is based on hearsay, on the testimony of others, and I think we need to mature beyond that point. I think we need to have our own testimonies instead of the advice of others on a perpetual basis. Others have been heard to say, ‘I want to do right just to please my parents,’ and although we all should have a desire to please our parents, that reason alone is not sufficient to sustain us throughout eternity. Perhaps you have heard people who have indicated that they are doing the right thing simply because they want to be obedient to God’s commands; this, too, is a very high and noble purpose—provided, of course, that obedience is not blind obedience, without personal conviction. But to me the best reason of all is illustrated by the person who feels the desire to do right because he wants to add glory to his Father in heaven. Whatever stage of motivation we find ourselves in, I think we must eventually reinforce this with our own personal testimony that has been built on a foundation of gospel scholarship and understanding—a testimony which leads us to the life of unselfishness and service, one which finds its highest sanctification in the supreme thought that we are living gospel principles because we desire to glorify his great name." (“Cast Your Burden upon the Lord,” New Era, Jan. 1977, p. 4.)