Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Romans 8

In the final stages of his life, Lehi proclaimed -

"...the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 1:15)

I believe "encircled...in the arms of his love" is literal. Joseph testified in his first vision -

"...I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!" (Pearl of Great Price JS-History 1:17)

The Savior was very specific as he prayed -

"...Our Father which art in heaven..." (New Testament Luke 11:2)

He made reference to our Father as -

"...heavenly Father..." (New Testament Matthew 18:35)

and -

"...Father which is in heaven..." (New Testament Matthew 5:16)

Our heavenly Father is literally a real person with -

"...a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 130:22)

Yet without restrictions as man is being ominipotent and omniscient. All nature of this world provides a great representation of eternal things as there is a father and mother of families. The inherent god-like instincts of parents if to raise their children to be successful adults much like themselves. To inherit that which they have and share in their joy. Why is this concept of joy in anyway wrong or just human in nature. All scriptures and teachings point us in the direction to be more like God. The Savior himself said -

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (New Testament Matthew 5:48)

Paul understood this as he wrote to the Romans -

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (New Testament Romans 8:16 - 17)

President Joseph Fielding Smith taught -

“Those who receive exaltation in the celestial kingdom are promised the fulness thereof. ‘All things are theirs, whether life or death, or things present, or things to come.’ [D&C 76:59.] Our Father in heaven is infinite; he is perfect; he possesses all knowledge and wisdom. However, he is not jealous of his wisdom and perfection, but glories in the fact that it is possible for his children who obey him in all things and endure to the end to become like him.

Man has within him the power, which the Father has bestowed upon him, so to develop in truth, faith, wisdom, and all the virtues, that eventually he shall become like the Father and the Son; this virtue, wisdom, and knowledge on the part of the faithful does not rob the Father and the Son, but adds to their glory and dominion. Thus it is destined that those who are worthy to become his sons and joint-heirs with our Redeemer, would be heirs of the Father’s kingdom, possessing the same attributes in their perfection, as the Father and the Son now possess.” (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:35.)

I see no conflict with this true doctrine of becoming like God and the doctrine of one true God. I have matured to be much like my father, but I will always love, honor, and respect my father. I will only have one true earthly father. This becomes clear as John writes -

"...what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." (New Testament 1 John 3:1 - 2)