Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, May 11, 2007

Galatians 1

You can feel how concerned Paul is as he writes to the Galatians -

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ." (New Testament Galatians 1:6 - 7)

It is obvious that there were saints that had began teaching their own doctrine, not the doctrine delivered by Paul and his associates. Paul then admonishes -

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." (New Testament Galatians 1:8)

When Paul says "we" you would have to assume he was suggesting that there is always the possibility that Church leaders could apostatize. You would have to also assume an "angel from heaven" would be more than a valid messenger to teach true doctrine and new doctrine. I'm sure Paul is suggesting a deceptive angel that represents itself as an angel from heaven or as Paul told the Corinthians -

"...for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light." (New Testament 2 Corinthians 11:14)

Paul again immediately repeats his warning -

"As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." (New Testament Galatians 1:9)

Over the years, I have heard many Christians suggest that in these verses, what Paul was saying was that what was written in the New Testament is all that God had revealed and all that he would reveal. But as you read all of Paul's writing to the Galatians, you begin to understand that Paul isn't talking just the gospel doctrine exclusively he taught, but how or the method the gospel doctrine being taught was received. For Paul asked the Galatian saints -

"For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ." (New Testament Galatians 1:10)

The big question is - is the doctrine being taught the doctrine of men or is it the doctrine of God. To be the doctrine of God, it would have to doctrine received from God by revelation. Paul continues -

"...I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ." (New Testament Galatians 1:11 - 12)

Paul had learned how gospel principles and doctrine was to be received as he explained that before his conversion -

"...ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers." (New Testament Galatians 1:13 - 14)

Many Christians become so "exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers" that they choose not to rely upon the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Ghost. Paul explains when he received his revelations -

"...when it pleased God...and called me by his grace,
16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.
19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother." (New Testament Galatians 1:15 - 19)

I believe everyone is entitled to spiritual guidance and revelation from the Holy Ghost. If appropriately acted upon, revelation will continue to flow for as given in my regular blog header -

"For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 10:19)

This is the gospel that I believe Paul was referring to -

"Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid." (Old Testament Isaiah 29:13 - 14)