Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

John 5

After the Savior had taught the purpose of the Sabbath, Luke wrote that -

"...it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God." (New Testament Luke 6:12)

In that the Savior is our great Exemplar, I've wondered at times what transpired during these times of prayer. I've wondered how his prayers may have differed for those of other sincere prayers. I believe we learn in a small degree of some of his prayers as the Savior addresses those who -

"...sought to slay him..." (New Testament John 5:16)

"...Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work." (New Testament John 5:17)

"...The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel." (New Testament John 5:19 - 20)

"...I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me." (New Testament John 5:30)

Even the Savior did seek to learn the will of the Father and do his will. To all, he testifies -

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." (New Testament John 5:39)

As we humbly kneel in prayer, seeking to learn and do the will of the Father, the more we become like our great Exemplar -

"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps..." (New Testament 1 Peter 2:21)

The Savior said to his disciples -

"Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 12:48)