Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Matthew 8 - 9, Mark 1 - 2, Luke 4 - 5

Upon being confronted and accused by those that claimed the Savior was possessed with a devil, there were -

"...certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee." (New Testament Matthew 12:38)

To which the Lord answered -

"...An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign..." (New Testament Matthew 12:39)

When Sherem demanded of Jacob -

"...Show me a sign by this power of the Holy Ghost, in the which ye know so much..." (Book of Mormon Jacob 7:13)

Jacob answered -

"...What am I that I should tempt God to show unto thee a sign in the thing which thou knowest to be true? Yet thou wilt deny it, because thou art of the devil." (Book of Mormon Jacob 7:14)

When -

"...Korihor said unto Alma: If thou wilt show me a sign, that I may be convinced that there is a God, yea, show unto me that he hath power, and then will I be convinced of the truth of thy words." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:43)

Alma answered -

"...Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets?" (Book of Mormon Alma 30:44)

Moroni teaches -

"...signs shall follow them that believe in my name." (Book of Mormon Ether 4:18)

Nephi taught that God works -

"...mighty miracles, signs, and wonders, among the children of men according to their faith." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 26:13)

"For if there be no faith among the children of men God can do no miracle among them..." (Book of Mormon Ether 12:12)

These scriptures themselves suggest that the Savior himself probably would perform no such miracles unless there was sufficient faith present. Matthew wrote that -

"...Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people." (New Testament Matthew 4:23)

But a better understanding comes from the the inspired verson provided by the Prophet -

"And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people which believed on his name." (New Testament Matthew 4:23, JST)

All of the Saviors miracles seem to take on much more meaning as we come to understand that they were provided for those of faith.