Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Mathew 3 - 4:11, Mark 1, Luke 3 - 4:13

The words baptism or baptize are not mentioned in the Old Testament yet when John baptized in the wilderness in Judea, none of gospel authors seem to suggest that this was a new or strange practice. This topic alone strongly suggests that many doctrines had been intentionally removed from the scriptures. Mark explains thatJohn the Baptist did -

"...preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins." (New Testament Mark 1:4)

A purpose then of baptism was to receive a remission of sins upon sincere repentance. But even with a remission of sins it seems that this alone did not complete the changing or refining of the individual. This took a higher power and authority. John understood this and taught -

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire..." (New Testament Matthew 3:11)

Moroni explained that in the Americas, the saints -

"...were not baptized save they brought forth fruit meet that they were worthy of it.
2 Neither did they receive any unto baptism save they came forth with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, and witnessed unto the church that they truly repented of all their sins.
3 And none were received unto baptism save they took upon them the name of Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end.
4 And after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ..." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:1 - 4)

An essential step was being cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost. Nephi taught -

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I know that if ye shall follow the Son, with full purpose of heart, acting no hypocrisy and no deception before God, but with real intent, repenting of your sins, witnessing unto the Father that ye are willing to take upon you the name of Christ, by baptism—yea, by following your Lord and your Savior down into the water, according to his word, behold, then shall ye receive the Holy Ghost; yea, then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 31:13)

It is the baptism of fire that seems to refine or change the individual. We see with the people of Alma that -

"...he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God..." (Book of Mormon Alma 5:7)

This baptism of fire, cleansing, or changing may not necessarily be apparent as the Savior taught -

"...him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost, even as the Lamanites, because of their faith in me at the time of their conversion, were baptized with fire and with the Holy Ghost, and they knew it not." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 9:20)

The need for baptism becomes even more clear John tells the Savior-

"...I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him." (New Testament Matthew 3:14 - 15)

And the Savior was then baptized by the Holy Ghost and by fire as -

"...the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him..." (New Testament Matthew 3:16)

It is hard to believe that this same doctrine has not been taught through all generations of time. The Savior himself stating -

"...this is my doctrine, and it is the doctrine which the Father hath given unto me; and I bear record of the Father, and the Father beareth record of me, and the Holy Ghost beareth record of the Father and me; and I bear record that the Father commandeth all men, everywhere, to repent and believe in me.
33 And whoso believeth in me, and is baptized, the same shall be saved; and they are they who shall inherit the kingdom of God.
34 And whoso believeth not in me, and is not baptized, shall be damned." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 11:32 - 34)