Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Isaiah 45 - 50

Isaiah writes with great emphasis -

"LISTEN, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.
2 And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;
3 And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:1 - 3)

It seems clear to me that the Lord is speaking to his servant Israel. He is also referring to a scattered Israel as he writes "from far". It becomes apparent that the Lord wants Israel of our day to pay attention. It is obvious that the Lord's commandments have served as a double edge sword as Israel confesses -

"...I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nought, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the LORD, and my work with my God..." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:4)

But nonetheless -

"...the LORD that formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the LORD, and my God shall be my strength...." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:5)

In these days, the Lord tells a the righteous of Israel they have a great work to do -

"...It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth...." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:6)

"...That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places.
10 They shall not hunger nor thirst; neither shall the heat nor sun smite them: for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:9 - 10)

And in reference to His Church (mountain) in the last days -

"...I will make all my mountains a way, and my highways shall be exalted." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:11)

And of his saints -

"...Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:13)

And for modern Israel that has thought revelation has ceased and the Lord has abandoned them suggesting -

"...The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:14)

The Savior asks -

"Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb?..." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:15)

It is Israel or his people that have left him, he has not left them with they Savior explaining -

"...they may forget, yet will I not forget thee...." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:15)

And with much emotion, the Savior testifies -

"Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:16)

It has always been man's obligation to faithfully seek out the Lord -

"...Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." (New Testament Revelation 3:20)

We have a great work to do to -

"...to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth." (Old Testament Isaiah 49:6)

It is a marvelous work for the Lord -

"...will proceed to do a marvelous work and a wonder among the children of men.
18 Wherefore, he shall bring forth his words unto them, which words shall judge them at the last day, for they shall be given them for the purpose of convincing them of the true Messiah, who was rejected by them; and unto the convincing of them that they need not look forward any more for a Messiah to come, for there should not any come, save it should be a false Messiah which should deceive the people; for there is save one Messiah spoken of by the prophets, and that Messiah is he who should be rejected of the Jews." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 25:17 - 18)