Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, August 15, 2005

Mosiah 7 - 11

As the people that followed Zeniff began to settle the land of Lehi-Nephi, Zeniff confesses -

"...we were slow to remember the Lord our God." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 9:3)

A repentant King Limhi acknowledges -

"...how long doth he suffer with his people; yea, and how blind and impenetrable are the understandings of the children of men; for they will not seek wisdom, neither do they desire that she should rule over them!
21 Yea, they are as a wild flock which fleeth from the shepherd, and scattereth, and are driven, and are devoured by the beasts of the forest. (Book of Mormon Mosiah 8:20 - 21)

The Lord tells us -

"...I will not succor my people in the day of their transgression; but I will hedge up their ways that they prosper not; and their doings shall be as a stumbling block before them." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 7:29)

And -

"...except they repent I will visit them in mine anger.
21 And except they repent and turn to the Lord their God, behold, I will deliver them into the hands of their enemies; yea, and they shall be brought into bondage; and they shall be afflicted by the hand of their enemies.
22 And it shall come to pass that they shall know that I am the Lord their God, and am a jealous God, visiting the iniquities of my people." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 11:20 - 22)

But the Lord also promises that -

"...as often as my people repent will I forgive them their trespasses against me." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 26:30)

We find this the case with this people as they were confronted with being placed in bondage by their enemies. Zeniff tells us -

"...for I and my people did cry mightily to the Lord that he would deliver us out of the hands of our enemies, for we were awakened to a remembrance of the deliverance of our fathers.
18 And God did hear our cries and did answer our prayers..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 9:17 - 18)

But the Lord also tells us, and this is probably dependent upon the wickedness, that he may not be quick in hearing prayers -

"...that when they shall cry unto me I will be slow to hear their cries; yea, and I will suffer them that they be smitten by their enemies." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 11:24)

These words of Abinadi seem much the same as those in revelation to the modern saints in Missouri -

"They were slow to hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; therefore, the Lord their God is slow to hearken unto their prayers, to answer them in the day of their trouble.
8 In the day of their peace they esteemed lightly my counsel; but, in the day of their trouble, of necessity they feel after me." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:7 - 8)

But the promise still is -

"...if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 7:33)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home