Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, June 07, 2024

Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf - A Higher Joy

  As Elder Uchtdorf discussed receiving happiness, he said - 

"Life is not an endless sequence of emotional highs. “For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things.”7 And if God Himself weeps, as the scriptures affirm He does,8 then of course you and I will weep as well. Feeling sad is not a sign of failure. In this life, at least, joy and sorrow are inseparable companions.9 Like all of you, I have felt my share of disappointment, sorrow, sadness, and remorse."

"I acknowledge and respect these feelings. Our beloved Father in Heaven wants all His children to have as much happiness as possible, so He has filled this world with beautiful, wholesome pleasures and delights, “both to please the eye and … gladden the heart.”16 For me, flying brought great happiness. Others find it in music, in art, in hobbies, or in nature.

By inviting everyone and sharing the Savior’s good news of great joy, we do not discount any of these sources of joy. We’re simply saying that God has something more to give. A higher and more profound joy—a joy that transcends anything this world offers. It is a joy that endures heartbreak, penetrates sorrow, and diminishes loneliness."

"Worldly happiness, by contrast, does not last. It cannot. It is the nature of all earthly things to grow old, decay, wear out, or become stale. But godly joy is eternal, because God is eternal. Jesus Christ came to lift us out of the temporal and replace corruption with incorruption. Only He has that power, and only His joy is perpetual."

"During the coming days, weeks, and months, may I invite you to:

Spend time in a sincere, full-hearted effort to draw near to God.

Seek diligently for everyday moments of hope, peace, and joy.

Bring joy to others around you."