Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 09, 2023

John 5

 As Jesus peacefully confronted the Pharisees that desired to kill Him, He said - 

"...The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise."  (John 5:19)

There are some that argue that this statement suggests that the Father was a "Christ" in His progression.  David Ridges argues - 

"Occasionally, members of the Church use verse 19 above to suggest that Heavenly Father was the Savior of the world upon which He grew up. Their reasoning is: Since Jesus said that He does nothing but what He sees the Father do, and since Jesus is our Savior, the Father had to have been the Savior on the world upon which He grew up as a mortal. Of course it is possible that the Father was the Savior on His world, but to use this verse to “prove” it is not sound thinking. Brigham Young said, “The Savior told his disciples as he saw the Father do, so does he, and as Joseph Smith saw Jesus do, so did Joseph do, and as I saw Joseph do, so do I also.” (Taken from remarks which appear to have been given at the dedication of the Seventies Hall in Nauvoo, late December, 1844. See BYU Studies, Winter 1978, Volume 18, No. 2, pp. 177–78.) Joseph Smith was not crucified. Brigham Young was not martyred in Carthage Jail. From that same volume of BYU Studies, p. 176, Joseph Smith says, “For the Savior says, the work that my Father did, do I also,…He took himself…a body and then laid down his life that he might take it up again,…We then also took bodies to lay them down, to take them up again.” 

The point of verse 19, above, is that Jesus was, in all things, in perfect harmony with the Father’s will."

Ridges, David J.. The New Testament Made Easier, Part 1 (The Gospel Studies Series) . Cedar Fort, Inc. Kindle Edition.