Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, September 13, 2021

D&C 110

I had a thought this morning that may not necessarily be established doctrine, but the Lord has stated that He will give us a pattern in all things.  A pattern I have seen in all covenants and ordinations is the administering authority and then the sealing of that covenant, ordinance, and/or blessing.  We read that in the Kirtland Temple that - 

"...Elias appeared, and committed the dispensation of the gospel of Abraham, saying that in us and our seed all generations after us should be blessed."  (Doctrine and Covenants 110:12)

In my mind, as I read the Abrahamic covenant, knowing that Abraham has already been exalted, that what was dispensed was the keys of exaltation for himself and his seed.  To be exalted, one would have to obtain all temple ordinances including eternal marriage.  Thus in my mind, the keys Elias committed were that associated with temple ordinances and covenants.

With that understanding, Elijah returned with the keys of "sealing" and the work for the dead.  Thus the pattern was established with administration of the ordinance and the following sealing thereof including previous ordinances outside the temple.