Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, August 22, 2019

1 Corinthians 12

In preface to reading Paul's writing on the "Gifts of the Spirit", Elder Orson Pratt taught -

“Whenever the Holy Ghost takes up its residence in a person, it not only cleanses, sanctifies, and purifies him, in proportion as he yields himself to its influence, but also imparts to him some gift, intended for the benefit of himself and others… all Saints who constitute the Church of Christ, are baptized into the same Spirit; and each one, without any exception, is made a partaker of some spiritual gift… Each member does not receive all these gifts; [they] are distributed among the members of the Church, according to their faithfulness, circumstances, natural abilities, duties, and callings; that the whole may be properly instructed, confirmed, perfected, and saved.” (Masterful Discourses, pp. 539– 41.)

Of all these gifts I noted -

"...to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit..."  (1 Corinthians 12:9)

Of which the Prophet Joseph Smith taught -

“These signs, such as healing the sick, casting out devils, etc., should follow all that believe, whether male or female.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 224.)