Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Ether 3

As the brother of Jared sees the finger of the Lord, the Savior answers -

"...never have I showed myself unto man whom I have created, for never has man believed in me as thou hast..."  (Book of Mormon | Ether 3:15)

Many have struggled with this statement knowing the Adam, Enoch, and Noah had seen the Lord.  David J. Ridges provides this comment -

"First of all, we don't know for sure what the Savior meant by this. We will have to wait for clarification. We know from the scriptures that He appeared to Adam, Seth, Enoch, and Noah, who were righteous, holy prophets. Therefore, we are left to wonder if He meant that He had never yet appeared so completely to anyone, or to anybody with so much faith as the brother of Jared had, or had never been so personal, or introduced Himself as Jesus Christ, or if He simply meant that common, ordinary, worldly “man” had never seen Him, because of inability or unworthiness to be in the presence of God, as was the brother of Jared. Whatever the case, this was a marvelous manifestation of the premortal Christ to a humble prophet."  (Ridges, David J.. The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part 3)

My personal thoughts have always been that never had the Savior been put in this position of great faith where the laws of heaven required the Savior to show himself.  I also like the idea the use of "man" suggested worldliness.