Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Revelation 2

The Lord said to the Prophet Joseph Smith -

"...I will give unto you a pattern in all things..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 52:14)

I see a pattern or method of administration as the Lord talks to his "stars" or servants that preside in the seven Churches or "wards" in Asia. First, the Lord expresses praise and gratitude to His servants. For example to the priesthood leader in Ephesus He expresses -

"I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted." (New Testament | Revelation 2:2 - 3)

But then, where appropriate, He lovingly says -

"Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee..." (New Testament | Revelation 2:4)

After explaining why, he continues to teach doctrine and remind the leader of the blessings that He has promised if they are faithful. He then counsels -

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith..." (New Testament | Revelation 2:7)

The counsel is clear. As priesthood leaders, listen to and follow the promptings or revelations of the Holy Ghost in their duty.

This seems to be the same pattern with leaders in Pergamos, Thyatira, and so forth. I was touched with the reminder -

"...he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
28 And I will give him the morning star." (New Testament | Revelation 2:26 - 28)

In other words, to have power over the nations, even ruling with a rod of iron or the "word of God", even as the Savior did receive would again suggest that we have the capacity -

"...heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ..." (New Testament | Romans 8:17)