Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Revelation 1

During His ministry, the Savior promised -

"where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (New Testament | Matthew 18:20)

As a vision was opened to John, he recounts -

"I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet..." (New Testament | Revelation 1:10)

"And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks..." (New Testament | Revelation 1:12)

John later shares the symbolic nature that -

"...the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches." (New Testament | Revelation 1:20)

And after seeing the seven candlesticks or local congregations, he saw -

"...in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man..." (New Testament | Revelation 1:13)

But not only was the Savior in their midst, but -

"...he had in his right hand seven stars..." (New Testament | Revelation 1:16)

Again John shares this symbolic nature being -

"...The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches..." (New Testament | Revelation 1:20)

The Prophet Joseph Smith said that the angels were the "servants" or in other words, the priesthood leaders of the seven churches. As I pondered being in his right or covenant hand, I thought of Nephi, the Sons of Mosiah, Gideon (servant of Limhi), Alma where the scriptures teach were all -

"...instruments in the hands of God..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 35:14)

What a humbling thought that as priesthood leaders, He promises to be in our midst as we are instruments in His hand in doing His work.