Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

James 2

As I have recently blogged, as we contemplate faith as a principle of action, James teaches -

"MY brethren, ye cannot have the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, and yet have respect to persons." (JST -
New Testament | James 2:1)

For -

"...if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin..." (New Testament | James 2:9)

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." (New Testament | James 2:10)

Even to the extent -

"What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?" (New Testament | James 2:14)

Or does he really not possess faith because there is no action, for -

"If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?" (New Testament | James 2:15 - 16)

Thus -

"Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." (New Testament | James 2:17)

"Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works." (New Testament | James 2:18)

James reasons that there is a real difference between confessing faith and having faith for -

"...the devils also believe, and tremble." (New Testament | James 2:19)

Of true faith, James asks -

"Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness..." (New Testament | James 2:21 - 23)

Therefore -

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."
(New Testament | James 2:24)

In modern day -

"...we know that justification through the grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is just and true..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 20:30)

So in other words, we are only justified by faith of action and obedience through the atonement and grace of Jesus Christ. Justification then has conditions to be declared just by the Savior who has the power to do so.