Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Joseph Smith - History 1

It seems that between September and December, 1827, the prophet spent all his time protecting the plates. It appears that with constantly hiding the plates, he didn't have an opportunity to begin translating. I'm sure he feared that as soon as he did, someone would break-in for the plates. This must have been agravating not to be able to spend anytime on the plates.

Later after moving to Pennsylvania, he records -

"...immediately after my arrival there I commenced copying the characters off the plates. I copied a considerable number of them, and by means of the Urim and Thummim I translated some of them, which I did between the time I arrived at the house of my wife's father, in the month of December, and the February following." (Pearl of Great Price JS-History 1:62)

First of all, this must have been a very interesting experience as the Prophet began to learn how to use the Urim and Thummim. It seems somewhat apparent that there was a great learning curve to this process. That one did not just look and the translations instantly appeared. For he writes that for two months he practiced by writing a "considerable number" of characters and then "translated some of them". It seems apparent that this was a first a tedious process.

I wonder if this process is much like I have heard regarding learning a language. I've heard missionaries struggle and become very discouraged learning a language and then almost overnight, things just begin to flow.

In my mind, translation falls under the gift of tongues.