Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Joseph Smith - History 1

In his visits to the Prophet Joseph Smith, Moroni first begins by telling him -

"...that God had a work for me to do; and that my name should be had for good and evil among all nations, kindreds, and tongues, or that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people." (Pearl of Great Price JS-History 1:33)

If everything the Prophet testified to was fictitious and a complete fabrication, this statement in itself would be something I believe would beyond what anyone would dare to say. But yet, there is no doubt that that statement is now verified. The world now knows that it is true. From a logic point of view, for a 17 year old to make such a statement under the conditions of his day would be ridiculous.

The fact is in my mind. Moroni did visit the Prophet and prophesied of this event.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell also testified -

"Young Joseph was told that his name would be ‘both good and evil spoken of’ throughout the world (Joseph Smith—History 1:33). Except from a divine source, how audacious a statement! Yet his contemporary religious leaders, then much better known than Joseph, have faded into the footnotes of history, while the work of Joseph Smith grows constantly and globally." (in Conference Report, Oct. 1983, 75; or Ensign, Nov. 1983, 54)