Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

D&C 58

To the saints in Missouri, the Lord said -

"...behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 58:26 - 28)

Saturday, I was on the way to pick up my handicap daughter. Being on time is very important to her. I was on the way to pick up an item from a member of my stake and then I was planning to head directly to my daughters. I figured my timing would be just about right. As I was driving to the members house a passed what appeared to be a elderly women walking in warm exercise clothes on the side of the road. I couldn't help but notice that it looked like she was wiping tears from her eyes. I had a quick thought that maybe I should return and ask her if shee needed any help. Of course, this would be uncomfortable and she probably would be surprised and offended. And not only that, I had a tight schedule. Well, I didn't follow that thought and continued on my way. Since Saturday, it has kind of haunted me that maybe this was a prompting and I didn't do anything with it. As I read these verses this morning, again the haunting feeling returned. Then, Elder Ezra Taft Benson said -

"...usually the Lord gives us the overall objectives to be accomplished and some guidelines to follow, but he expects us to work out most of the details and methods. The methods and procedures are usually developed through study and prayer and by living so that we can obtain and follow the promptings of the Spirit. Less spiritually advanced people, such as those in the days of Moses, had to be commanded in many things. Today those spiritually alert look at the objectives, check the guidelines laid down by the Lord and his prophets, and then prayerfully act—without having to be commanded ‘in all things.’ This attitude prepares men for godhood. . .

Sometimes the Lord hopefully waits on his children to act on their own, and when they do not, they lose the greater prize, and the Lord will either drop the entire matter and let them suffer the consequences or else he will have to spell it out in greater detail. Usually, I fear, the more he has to spell it out, the smaller is our reward." (In Conference Report, Apr. 1965, pp. 121–22.)

I feel somewhat saddened that I may not of followed the promptings of the Spirit.