Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Acts 9

It was on the road to Damascus where the Savior appeared to Saul saying -

"...Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?..." (New Testament Acts 9:4)

Saul responded -

"...Who art thou, Lord?..." (New Testament Acts 9:5)

To which the Lord answered -

"...I am Jesus whom thou persecutest..." (New Testament Acts 9:5)

How Saul responded to these words is what I see as the matter of greatest importance, as Saul -

"...trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?" (New Testament Acts 9:6)

It was not an issue of believing as he was confronted by the Lord, but and issue of doing according to the Lord's will. The Lord instructed Saul -

"...Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do." (New Testament Acts 9:6)

In obedience, Saul immediately -

"...arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.
9 And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink." (New Testament Acts 9:8 - 9)

Laman and Lemuel were visited by an angel much like Saul where -

"...an angel of the Lord came and stood before them, and he spake unto them, saying: Why do ye smite your younger brother with a rod? Know ye not that the Lord hath chosen him to be a ruler over you, and this because of your iniquities? Behold ye shall go up to Jerusalem again, and the Lord will deliver Laban into your hands." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 3:29)

The angel instructs Laman and Lemuel what to do, but -

"...after the angel had departed, Laman and Lemuel again began to murmur, saying: How is it possible that the Lord will deliver Laban into our hands? Behold, he is a mighty man, and he can command fifty, yea, even he can slay fifty; then why not us?" (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 3:31)

There is an apparent and distinct difference between Saul and Laman and Lemuel. The difference is the principle of obedience. Saul who later took on the name Paul continued in his path of dedication and obedience to become as the Lord told Ananias -

"...a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
16 For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake." (New Testament Acts 9:15 - 16)

Laman and Lemuel's posterity went on to -

"...dwindled in unbelief [and] they became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 12:23)

The Savior himself taught -

"If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." (New Testament John 7:17)

Also as the Savior taught the Scribes and Pharisees -

"For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." (New Testament Matthew 12:50)

The emphasis of the Savior was "do"!